Image found at
Image found at

Egypt is located in Northern Africa. It borders the Mediterranean Sea. It can be found between Libya and the Gaza Strip. It is approximately three time the size of New Mexico and it mostly made up of desert plateaus.

Egypt has a population of about 77,505,756. 99% of the population are Egyptians and the other 1% are Italian and French.

94% of Egyptians are Muslim and the remaining 6% are Coptic Christian. The official language of Egypt is Arabic, but the educated classes can also understand English and French. Egypt's days of independence falls on February 28, 1922. Their national holiday is on July 23 and is known as their Revolution Day.

Natural Resources:
Some of Egypt's natural resources are petroleum, natural gas, iron ore, phosphates, manganese, limestone, gypsum, talc, lead, and zinc.

Egypt produces cotton, rice, corn, wheat, beans, fruits, vegetables; cattle, water buffalo, sheep, and goats.

Egypt experiences hot, dry summers and moderate winters.

Natural Hazards:
Droughts; earthquakes; floods; landslides; hot, driving windstorms called khamsins that occur in the spring; dust storms; and sandstorms are some of the natural hazards that occur in Egypt.

Currents Issues:
Agricultural land is being lost to urbanization and windblown sands.

Egypt has a Republic ever since they won their independence in 1922. The chief of state is President Mohammed Hosni Mubarak and the head of government is Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif.

Positive Effects:

  • France lost power
  • British helped to restore organization and stability
  • Protected from foreign attacks

Negative Effects:

  • Egyptian nationalists did not approve of the foreign control and the weakness of the government
  • Began a revolution
  • French said that they would take the Nile away from Egypt

Image found at
Image found at

---> Back to Main Page